Happy Sunday! Today’s a good day to listen to some powerful nuggets from iFAB 2023 Speaker, Nana Ekua Sekyiwa Darko who is currently the Head of Community Relations at the Ghana Petroleum Commission. She shared stories about how she rose through the ranks to be where she is today.
Here are a few of the pieces of advice she shared:
- Believe that everything is possible and that you will get there. Start from scratch and you will get there.
- Life is not a bed of roses. Sometimes put aside your certificate and learn on the job because not everything is in books. You need a bit of book sense and street sense.
- Your environment and who you associate with determine where you want to be. Surround yourself with people who will challenge you.
- Be committed and don’t give up when the road gets tough. The more you push determines your breakthrough.
- Manner comes through other people. Network wherever you find yourself. The more you network with other people, share knowledge and ideas the more you equip yourself positively.
- Don’t find comfort at where you are now. There is a lot to do, challenge yourself, read wide and make use of social media.
- When you are at a place and feel the need to move on, just do it. There is no harm in starting all over again.
- Listen to your inner voice sometimes.
- Be confident (know who you are). Don’t let anyone oppress you.
- Know how to manage people, especially difficult bosses.
- Sometimes share your issue. An issue shared is half solved. Share issues, and discuss them.
- Let your work speak for you. Wherever you are, in every small hole that you are in, keep doing your best. People are watching.
- Don’t limit yourself. Everything is possible. Don’t let anyone discourage you.
- Come down to other people’s level.
- Humble yourself.
- Invest in yourself.
- When you attend iFAB, make sure you take something home. Don’t leave the way you came.
- Keep your eye on the ball.
- Tell yourself that ‘I can do it’. If someone has done it, it means you can also do it and do it better.
- You are unique in your own way.
- Don’t pass by a social media post, open it and read wide, it might help you.
- Have a cheerleader.
- In all, don’t forget the God factor.
I hope this blesses you as much as it did us, Watch the full episode here https://youtu.be/5Nun6V6felA